Local News

Woman shares video of maggots in her meal from Nando’s

Not so cheeky now.
Loading the player...

Say goodbye to all that is good and holy in this world because for the second time in a week, we’ve been forced to face the fact restaurants are serving maggot-infested food in Australia.

Emy Wamboi claims she was innocently trying to have a cheeky Nando’s with her seven-year-old son when she noticed something a little off about her food.

Spoiler alert: it was writhing soft-bodied legless larvae found in decaying matter.

“My son was very hungry,” she told ABC.

“He is seven years old so he was like, ‘Oh, let me have that chicken’.

“So I just looked at the chicken and I saw some maggots running around.”

The store gave her a full refund, but can you ever pay back that kind of trauma?

“I would not like someone else to go there and get the same experience, because then they have just put me off from chicken. I have not eaten chicken since then,” she said.

Nando’s has apologised to Ms Wamboi, but we’re not sure if they put up the money for the therapy she will definitely need for the rest of her life.

“Nando’s has done a thorough investigation of this issue and found the Kotara restaurant has followed all the correct cooking and hygiene procedures,” a spokeswoman said.

“Our chicken is made to order and a fly or maggots could not have survived the cooking process, which includes placing the chicken on a grill with an operating surface temperature of over 350 degrees [Celsius].

“As the restaurant is open to the environment, and the maggots were found on the skin of the chicken, we believe this incident is the result of an airborne fly landing on the chicken in the short period of time between when it was plated and subsequently discovered by the customer at her table.”

The story comes days after a couple posted a video of a steak-infested maggot at a restaurant in Sydney.

Loading the player...

Stella Kim and her partner Sushil Lamichhane were celebrating their 1000 day anniversary (yeah, we didn’t know that was a thing either) at The Ranch Hotel in North Ryde when they made the grim discovery.

Stella filmed the maggots and posted the video to Facebook, claiming The Ranch has been deleting their online reviews.

“We ordered steaks and one of our steaks was full of worms,” she wrote.

“Live worms coming out of the steak. We couldn’t believe this was happening at one of the big restaurant in Australia. Don’t know how many people are affected by this.”

Unwind and relax with your favourite magazine!

Huge savings plus FREE home delivery

Related stories

Clarence House confirms nude shots are of Prince Harry

Prince Harry surprises diners after stopping off at Nando’s

Prince Harry has turned into a master of disguise! The young Prince almost went unrecognised when he stopped off for a midnight snack at Nando’s on Tuesday night. The 29-year-old was spotted at the fast food store in Fulham, South London, following celebrations for England’s World Cup qualification victory against Poland. Harry, who was joined […]