- Find out if your child's school has an allergy policy that specifies foods that aren't allowed. Also, ask if any children in your child's class have food allergies.
- Discuss food allergies with your children and explain that it has the potential to be very serious — even if people with allergies eat just a very, very small amount of the food.
- Be mindful when providing food for sporting teams, children's parties or special occasions and remember to ask if any children have allergies.
- Check food labels — the labelling laws in Australia make it compulsory for certain allergens to be printed on packaging.
- Teach your child that it is very important to not swap lunches with school mates and friends. And always encourage them to wash their hands before and after meals.
Anaphylaxis Australia — www.allergyfacts.org.au