Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, seems to be sweeping the world as quickly as we quietly sing Happy Birthday to ourselves at the bathroom sink.
With thousands affected by the pandemic, both directly and indirectly, it comes as no surprise that many well known faces are among those at risk.
And while many might be alarmed at the scale of the pandemic, it’s important to remember that while things are uncertain, people are consciously taking measures to prevent its spread.
Seeing influential people acting responsibly and calmly (we’re looking at you, Tom Hanks) is refreshing to see, and serves as a comforting reminder that people are doing what they can.
With events being cancelled, workplaces in isolation and even some of our favourite television shows on hold, there’s many things that we’re all trying to keep track of at the moment.
So to bring things together in one spot, we’ve rounded up exactly what the famous faces affected by Corona virus are saying and doing at the moment.
Keep scrolling as we look at which well known people with links to Australia have said and done in the face of COVID-19.
WATCH: See Prince Charles stop himself shaking hands with a guest as he adapts to new health protocol. Story continues below…
Magda took to Instagram to share that while she didn’t have any symptoms for COVID-19, she was choosing to self isolate herself, stating: “I don’t want to become an unwitting carrier”.
25-year-old singer Thelma Plum has confirmed she’s tested positive to COVID-19, using her announcement as a call to action to help those less vulnerable in the community during the pandemic. “I am currently being managed by the Brisbane Metro North Public Health Unit and they’re taking very good care of me,” she penned. ” I cannot stress enough how much this virus has the potential to severely harm our communities (particularly our Indigenous communities). We need to know that the public health system is going to care for our communities,” she added.
Fitzy and Wippa
Fitzy & Wippa
Taking to Instagram on Monday, March 16, radio hosts Fitzy & Wippa shared a series of pictures of crew members in isolation, writing: “The Fitzy & Wippa crew are self-isolating after Richard Wilkins was diagnosed with Coronavirus last night. Everyone’s feeling fit and healthy, just taking the recommended medical precautions.” They confirmed they’ll be back on air from isolation as of Tuesday morning before adding: “Look after yourself and loved ones, team! ❤️”
Tom Hanks Rita Wilson
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson
On Thursday, March 12, Tom and wife Rita updated fans with the shock news that they had both contracted Coronavirus.
Taking to his Instagram account, the Hollywood actor wrote: “Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.”
The pair are now currently in isolation, confirming to fans: “We Hanks’ will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no? We’ll keep the world posted and updated.”
In the wake of Tom Hanks’ announcement, Today Extra‘s David Campbell said he was being tested for corona after interviewing both Rita and her husband earlier this week. The results later came back that both he and co-host Belinda had tested negative – but his precautions were exemplary.
Speaking to 2GB’s Deborah Knight, David confirmed: “[Rita] was delightful and really nice and she didn’t have any symptoms of anything. She was cautious… Belinda Russell and I will go get tested, we will make sure we are clear. I feel perfectly fine.”
As mentioned above, David confirmed his Today Extra co-host Belinda Russell is also being tested for the virus after interviewing both Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.
Richard Wilkins tested positive for Coronavirus after he “briefly” spoke to Rita Wilson while she and Tom Hanks were in the Channel Nine headquarters. A spokesperson for the network revealed the television personality had been “self-isolating on his own at home since Thursday last week”. They continued: “We want to assure everyone that Richard is feeling well and still without symptoms.”
Aussie television host, Tracy Grimshaw of A Current Affair is in self-quarantine after a coronavirus scare. It’s understood Rita Wilson used Tracy’s usual dressing room when preparing for her interview at Nine.
Tracy reportedly had surgery last week, so her immunity is a little lower than usual, which explains why Nine’s management decided it was best for her to stay in quarantine.
Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langon on how Channel Nine is dealing with corona virus
The Bachelor Australia 2020
The Bachelor Australia
Production for the 2020 season of The Bachelor has been thrown into uncertainty as the virus pandemic continues. According to the Daily Mail, the filming for the next series is underway in Oxford Falls, Sydney, but things could be brought to a halt as social distancing and self isolation continues to be encouraged. Closeness between contestants and indeed with the Bachelor himself is part and parcel to the show, so it’s understandable that for the safety of contestants and to prevent further spread, Channel Ten may choose to stop production.
The Project host Lisa recently travelled to the US for a celebrity interview, however, it appears she was keen to get back home sooner rather than later.
Posting a picture to Instagram, the legendary journalist wrote: “America feels like it’s shutting down, and I don’t know how much longer these borders are going to be open. Australia, here I come… Be safe everyone.”
We hope you get home safely too, Lisa!
Katy Perry, who recently announced her pregnancy to the world, has been forced to leave Australia early after being in lockdown in her hotel for 24 hours, as well as cancelling her press interviews.
The Daily Mail reported a “Coronavirus scare” had caused the cancellations. According to news.com.au, she was also pictured departing Sydney airport after the lockdown, hopefully en route to return home to fiance Orlando Bloom.
Singer Miley Cyrus was forced to cancel her Australian bushfire relief concert as a precautionary measure for herself and her entourage, who would have joined her in travelling Down Under.
Taking to Twitter, the 27-year-old wrote: “Due to the recommendations of local, state, federal and international government authorities, including the Center for Disease Control, to reduce potential health risks in response to the current global health crisis, we are no longer traveling to Aus for the show.”
She continued: “I am so disappointed to not be there, but I have to do what is right to protect the health and safety of my band and crew. I will still be making a donation to help the victims of the Australian bush fire. I’m sorry to miss everyone in Australia, but I will be back soon.”
Grant Denyer Amanda Keller
Grant Denyer and Amanda Keller
Dancing With The Stars hosts Grant and Amanda might be dealing with a slightly different show dynamic on Sunday evening.
Speaking to hit105’s Stav, Abby and Matt on Friday morning, Grant revealed that the show might go without an audience to prevent spread of infection. “We’ll have to reconsider our position. We want to make sure that the fans of the show are safe, that the crew is safe and everybody is looked after so we might be just performing to no body in the room on Sunday night,” he said.
But even if you’re choosing to stay plonked firmly on your couch on Sunday evening, it seems you’ll definitely still have something to watch. “The show will definitely go on,” Grant insisted.
Crown Princess Mary
Crown Princess Mary
While she’s not in her home country of Australia, former Tasmanian Crown Princess Mary is taking precautionary measures for her European based family. The Danish royal household confirmed Mary’s four children had returned home after spending two months in Switzerland, where they were attending boarding school.
In an official statement, the Palace wrote: “In light of the worsening situation in Denmark in connection with the handling of the spread of COVID-19, the Crown Prince couple has decided that the family will leave home from Switzerland.”