Celebrity News

Health scare: Kanye West rushed to hospital in Australia

Kanye West was rushed to hospital suffering a major health scare just hours before performing at his final concert in Melbourne overnight.

The rapper was whisked to Melbourne’s Epworth Hospital in Richmond suffering a migraine. He was given an emergency MRI just after 2pm on Wednesday. The 37-year-old had one side of his face covered as he was rushed through the back entrance, surrounded by high security.

Nurses were forced to ask patients to move out of the waiting room and consulting rooms so Kanye, who is in Australia for his high-energy Yeezus tour, could be treated privately.

Loraine Terry was at the hospital with her daughter when Kanye was stretchered in by paramedics.

“My daughter was having an MRI. Shortly after it began, security burst in and cleared the area,” she tells Woman’s Day exclusively.

“Everyone was moved out of the waiting and consulting rooms. We were the only ones left apart from doctors and nurses – we couldn’t leave as the MRI wasn’t finished.

“Next thing we knew, Kanye was stretchered in surrounded by security. He had one side of his face covered with something white. We both knew it was him because we had seen his photo in the paper everyday and we were shocked because it looked so serious.”

Melbourne’s Epworth Hospital in Richmond where Kanye West was treated.

Loraine says doctors were concerned the artist had suffered a seizure or was about to and requested an urgent MRI.

“Everyone was massively panicked,” she adds. “And they were very nervous about making sure the area was completely clear.

“At one stage, one of his security men saw my daughter, who was lying on the MRI machine, turn her head and he insisted she had to go. We weren’t even properly finished.”

Though the cause of his illness remains unknown, Woman’s Day understands Kim Kardashian, who is in the country to support her husband on his Yeezus tour, was not by his side.

“Yesterday afternoon we had 50 people in our emergency department. All were treated with respect and according to the severity of their symptoms,” Epworth Hospital spokeswoman Colleen Coghlan said.

When asked if Kanye had attended the hospital she said: “We do not discuss or talk publicly about our patients without their approval.”

Despite his scare, Kanye later performed to a packed crowed at Rod Laver Arena following his release from hospital sometime after 4.30pm.

Kanye’s record label had no comment about his hospital stay, but said his shows will continue as scheduled.

“Kanye went on stage last night in Melbourne as scheduled. The tour continues at Sydney’s Qantas Credit Union Arena tomorrow and Saturday, before concluding in Brisbane on Monday night,” a Live Nation spokeswoman said.

Related stories