Local News

Restaurant owner jailed for peanut allergy death

After ordering a takeaway meal with specifically no nuts, a man has died from anaphylactic shock.

A man has died from a severe peanut allergy after eating takeaway food that he’d specifically requested ‘no nuts’.

The British restaurant owner, Mohammed Zaman, 52, has been found guilty of causing 38-year-old Paul Wilson’s death and sentenced to six years’ jail.

Zaman, who owns six Indian restaurants in Britain, has been convicted of manslaughter by gross negligence after Wilson ordered the takeaway meal of chicken tikka masala with “no nuts”.

Wilson went into anaphylactic shock and died, and was found by his roommate slumped on his toilet, the court heard.

Three weeks before the tragic death, another customer with a nut allergy from the same restaurant had to be treated at hospital for a severe reaction, according to the New York Times.

The prosecutor, Richard Wright, told the court that when it came to risk, Zaman had a “reckless and cavalier” attitude.

During the trial, Wright said: “Time and time again he ignored the danger and did not protect his customers.” He added that Zaman had “put profit before safety, and he cut corners at every turn”.

This is the first time in Britain someone has been charged with manslaughter over the sale of food.

Trending video: Amber Heard and Johnny Depp are calling it quits

Loading the player...

Unwind and relax with your favourite magazine!

Huge savings plus FREE home delivery

Related stories


Bali masseuse charged with sexually assaulting Aussie boy
Local News

Bali masseuse charged with sexually assaulting Aussie boy

A grandmother, and a mother with her 12-year-old son thought a massage was the perfect way to relax on their Balinese holiday. While the ladies enjoyed their massages the boy was in the room next door fighting off a sexual predator reports Kidspot. The trio were all ushered into separate rooms on arrival at Damen […]