Congratulations! You are are no doubt now the proud parent of a black dog and are now looking for a top dog name for this bundle of (doggy) joy.
Naturally, you want something that would be suitable for a black dog and so have turned to the oracle of all knowledge - the internet - for some inspiration.
Well, you've come to the right place.
When it comes to naming a black dog you have two options: you can either go for something which highlights their colouring, or you can go for something completely ironic, such as Ghost or Ivory.
As always, consider the following before deciding on your pet's name:
- Choose a name that both you and your kids can say easily and your dog can learn easily.
- Experts suggest you choose a name with two syllable names so your dog is able to differentiate between its name and a standard command (sit, stay etc).
- Remember, you'll have to call this name out across the dog park, beach and your front yard, so it's best to not make it anything too ridiculous or embarrassing – for you and your dog's sake.
ON WITH THE DOG NAMES...
50 names for black dogs
- Beauty (geddit?)
- Coal (can be spelt Kole or Cole)
- Jack (as in Blackjack)
- Nero (Italian for "black")
- Pearl (as in the black variety)
WATCH: Too cute! Watch these fluffy dogs getting haircuts in slow motion. Story continues after video.
If none of those struck your fancy or seemed quite right, then go for a name that resonates with you.
Think of famous people you're a fan of, your favourite TV show characters or even use everyday items for inspiration.
Remember, there's no harm in waiting a little while until your pup shows its personality.