Prince William made a surprise visit to Manchester to meet with those affected by last week's terrorist attack following an Ariana Grande concert, a suicide bombing that left 22 dead and 119 injured.
The Duke of Cambridge, 34, arrived mid-morning on Friday to the Greater Manchester Police headquarters to meet with officers who were the first to respond to the atrocity.
Among those he met was Michael Buckley, 47, an off-duty police officer who tended to injured and dying victims of the homemade bomb, while frantically searching for his own 15-year-old daughter who had attended the concert.
Thankfully, he was eventually reunited with the teenager who suffered a concussion and some crush injuries.
“I wanted to know where she was and whether she was OK and then there were all these other people badly injured too,” he recalled to People. “She ran to me but I couldn’t hold her because I was covered in blood. I told her I have got other peoples’ blood all over me.”
Speaking about the scene, he said: "When I walked into the foyer of the arena it was absolute devastation, there were people screaming, others crying and others making no sound at all.”
“I knew my daughter was in there somewhere."
He said the second-in-line to the throne had also queried whether they were getting enough support in the wake of the attack.
The royal then made his way to Manchester Cathedral where he spent time chatting with volunteers from St John's Ambulance, who also shared their stories and experiences of the attack with him.
In a book of condolence at the cathedral, he wrote: "Manchester's strength and togetherness is an example to the world.”
"My thoughts are with all those affected."
He signed the short, though powerful, statement: “Will.”
The father-of-two will also pay a visit to the Manchester Royal Infirmary to meet some of the young survivors of the terrorist attack.
Last week, the much-loved royal issued a statement in response to the attack. Speaking on behalf of himself, Duchess Kate and Prince Harry he shared a message of hope and strength.
"Like everyone, Catherine, Harry and I are left shocked and saddened by the tragedy that unfolded in Manchester overnight,” Will said in a statement released by Kensington Palace.
“Hundreds of friends, parents, children, and partners are confronting unimaginable grief today, and we send our thoughts to them all. We also send our thanks to the people of Manchester for their display of strength, decency, and community that is an example to the world.”
Queen Elizabeth II shared a similar statement, describing the attack as an “act of barbarity.”