/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
British Royal Family

The British Royal Family respond to the “deeply distressing” Manchester terrorist attack

Queen Elizabeth II has described the attack as an “act of barbarity.”

By Candice Mehta-Culjak
Queen Elizabeth II issued a statement on Tuesday expressing her “deepest sympathy” for the victims of the Manchester terrorist attack, an explosion that killed 22 people and injured 59 others.
“The whole nation has been shocked by the death and injury in Manchester last night of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert,” the statement published on the Royal Family's official website read.
"I know I speak for everyone in expressing my deepest sympathy to all who have been affected by this dreadful event and especially to the families and friends of those who have died or were injured."
Her Majesty, 91, went on to praise emergency services and the people of Manchester for the way in which they responded to the horrific incident.
"I want to thank all the members of the emergency services, who have responded with such professionalism and care,” the statement continued. "And I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded, with humanity and compassion, to this act of barbarity.”
The Queen held a minute's silence at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday to remember those killed and injured in the Manchester bomb attack.
In a sunshine yellow double wool coat, the monarch stood in solemn contemplation and respect as she led some 8,000 guests at her Buckingham Palace garden party in the tribute.
She was joined by Prince Philip, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Princess Eugenie.
The monarch stood alongside Prince Philip as she remembered those killed and injured in the Manchester bomb attack.
In a strongly worded statement, she called the attack an "act of barbarity."
The royal also praised emergency services and the people of Manchester for the way in which they responded to the horrific incident.
Prince Charles said he and his wife were filled with “intense sadness” after hearing of the bombing.
The Duchess of Cornwall accompanied her husband at the event.
Prince William has also issued a statement in response to the attack. Speaking on behalf of himself, Duchess Kate and Prince Harry the second-in-line to throne shared a message of hope and strength.
"Like everyone, Catherine, Harry and I are left shocked and saddened by the tragedy that unfolded in Manchester overnight,” William, 34, said in a statement released by Kensington Palace.
“Hundreds of friends, parents, children, and partners are confronting unimaginable grief today, and we send our thoughts to them all. We also send our thanks to the people of Manchester for their display of strength, decency, and community that is an example to the world."
Speaking on behalf of himself, Duchess Kate and Prince Harry the second-in-line to throne shared a message of hope and strength.
Duchess Kate is yet to speak publicly about the horrific attack.
Prince Charles had earlier issued a statement expressing a similar sentiment, saying he and his wife were filled with “intense sadness.”
"My wife and I were so profoundly shocked to learn of the truly dreadful event which took place in Manchester last night. That such a large number of people, including so many young concert-goers, lost their lives or have suffered so much in this appalling atrocity is deeply distressing and fills us with intense sadness.”
The heir to the throne added: “Words cannot adequately express what so many families must be feeling at this incredibly difficult time and our most heartfelt sympathy is with all those who have so tragically lost loved ones or who have been affected in some way."
The militant group Islamic State have since claimed responsibility for the bombing, Britain’s deadliest terrorist attack since 2005.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg