Crown Princess Mary of Denmark has taken to social media to share which team she is supported in the Australia v. Denmark match of the FIFA Women's World Cup.
In a post to the Danish Royal Family's Instagram account, the Australian-born princess shared a celebratory snap alongside her Border Collie Grace, with both royal family members sporting face paint of the Danish flag.
"We cheer from 'Top Over' and all the way 'Down Under', when the match against Australia starts at the World Cup. Come on, Denmark," wrote the Crown Princess.
Princess Mary also included a subtle nod to the Australian team as she shared a photo of dog Grace holding a green and gold football.
Sadly for Denmark, their Women's World Cup campaign came to an end after last night's match, with the Matildas having earned their coveted spot in the tournaments quarter final.
The Crown Princesses sporting allegiances also drew the attention of Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who was questioned about whether Mary's support of the Danish team was enough to warrant her Australian citizenship being stripped.
"I think she's done that already, mate. I think that's how you get to be a princess," Mr Albanese quipped to Triple M.
"I didn't speak with her… and today [after Denmark's defeat], I don't think she'd take my call," he joked.
While the Prime Minister took Mary's apparent 'snub' in good humour, her lack of public support for the Australian athletes also sparked debate amongst the hosts of Sunrise following the game.
"Well, what happens now that Denmark's out, hey? Jump allegiances again?," joked Matt Shirvington.
The Tasmanian-born royal previously discussed her sporting allegiances during the 2016 Rio Olympics, telling The Today Show, "I'll absolutely support Australians, so long as they're not competing against a Dane."
- MakeupThe best beauty advent calendars to get for the holiday season
Now To LoveYesterday 3:49pm
- Christmas Lifestyle9 affordable adult Christmas advent calendars to bring a little extra joy into your life
Now To LoveYesterday 3:31pm
- Christmas LifestyleSpoil the little ones every day until Christmas with these to-die-for advent calendars
Now To LoveYesterday 3:23pm
- Fashion TrendsSmall but mighty backpacks for all of your travel needs
Now To LoveYesterday 2:34pm
- MakeupGet the Cate Blanchett glow with 9 of the most flawless dewy foundations for mature skin
Now To LoveYesterday 1:19pm
- Fashion TrendsAvoid the dreaded straps with these 9 strapless bras that aren't going anywhere
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas EntertainingLevel up your cracker game with these luxury bon bons for Christmas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Fashion Trends8 sunglasses brands to keep your eye on this summer
Now To LoveNov 30, 2023