British Royal Family

Princess Beatrice cancels her engagement party amid Prince Andrew's media storm

The daughter of the Duke has had to make a tough call in the wake of her father's scandal.

By Jess Pullar
Princess Beatrice has cancelled her glitzy engagement party in London amid the media storm currently surrounding her father, Prince Andrew.
The 31-year-old royal announced her engagement to partner Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, 36, in September, and it's understood the pair intend to officially tie the knot sometime in 2020.
But first generally comes the engagement party, which Beatrice was no doubt looking forward to putting on for her friends and family.
Princess Beatrice and fiancee Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi announced their engagement in September 2019. (Getty)
Instead, a source has told Mail on Sunday that Beatrice has had to change the date of the party, planned to take place at Chiltern Firehouse, because of the likelihood of multiple photographers surrounding the area.
"The venue choice caused alarm among pals concerned it was far too high-profile given the sensitive time her family is going through," the source explained.
The royal has switched up the dates of her pre-wedding celebrations following the media storm surrounding her father. (Getty)
According to The Sun, Beatrice had planned the event for December 18.
The date has now been changed, in order for Andrew to sneak into the party under the radar, according to the source.
Instead of hosting what was planned to be a glitzy affair, reports also state Beatrice will host an intimate gathering at a friend's apartment.
WATCH: Prince Andrew's accuser Virginia Giuffre is interviewed by the BBC. Story continues after video...
The move comes after Prince Andrew's involvement with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein was exposed.
In addition, the Prince faces allegations from a woman who claims he had sex with her when she was 17-years-old.
Andrew has vehemently denied the claims since they surfaced, even going so far as to deliver an unprecedented one-on-one interview for the BBC, where he attempted to clear up the rumours.
The interview sparked what can only be described as a storm of controversy for the royal, and several days later, Andrew stepped down from his royal duties for the foreseeable future.
Prince Andrew has faced a monumental media storm in the wake of his explosive interview with the BBC. (Getty)
"It has become clear to me over the last few days that the circumstances relating to my former association with Jeffrey Epstein has become a major disruption to my family's work and the valuable work going on in the many organizations and charities that I am proud to support," the Prince said in a statement after it was announced he would be stepping back from formal royal life.
It has been reported that Beatrice is "very down" following her father's scandal.
But perhaps a smaller, more intimate celebration with her nearest and dearest may well help to perk her up a little.