Destination Flavour host Adam Liaw dishes to TV WEEK on giving his show a taste of Eurovision.
What have you loved most about exploring different European cuisines on Destination Flavour Eurovision?
Learning about the culture of the places through their food. Nina [Radojičić, who represented Serbia in Eurovision in 2011 and now lives in Melbourne] told me about her love of the Serbian favourite Plazma biscuits when she was younger.
You're a big fan of the song contest. How excited where you to finally host a Eurovision-themed show?
I've been bugging SBS for years to let me have a crack at doing something with Eurovision – and they finally let me do it. I think this show is brilliant. The right mix of food, people and good, old Eurovision fun.
Adam Liaw's spanakopita recipe
SERVES 4 PREP TIME 15 minutes COOK TIME 60 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
700g spinach, chopped
4 eggs, lightly whisked
400g feta, crumbled
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup dill, chopped
¼ cup mint, chopped
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
¼ cup couscous
10 sheets filo pastry
150g butter, melted
Pickled cucumber and lemon wedges, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Fry the spring onions and garlic for 2 minutes or until fragrant and softened.
2. Add spinach and rocket and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture is wilted and liquid has evaporated. Cool to room temperature, then add eggs, feta, parmesan, dill, mint, parsley and couscous. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Brush the inside of a 24cm springform tin with butter and lay a sheet of filo pastry in the base. Make sure the pastry covers the base and sides of the tin, with extra overhanging the edges. Brush the pastry with butter and lay another sheet on top, at a slight angle to the first. Continue adding sheets of pastry, brushing with butter and overlapping each sheet as you go, until the pastry covers the sides, with plenty overhanging the edges.
4. Place the spinach and rocket filling in the centre, and fold the excess pastry over to encase the filling. Brush with butter and bake for 50 minutes or until pastry turns golden brown.
5. Allow to cool in the tin, then remove and slice. Serve with pickled cucumber and lemon wedges.