The bombshell dropped without warning. On August 19, announced on the pages of People – the online publication favoured by Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex – came the news that the duo were “moving back to Britain” for an “extended period” with their two children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five.
It was reported the family had enrolled the kids in school and would maintain their Montecito home as well as their holiday pad in Portugal while “establishing a private, non-royal home base” in Britain.
Heralding the development, the outlet reported it was the “biggest shift to their family life” since the couple famously stepped away from royal duties in 2020.
A huge move indeed, and one that appears to have taken King Charles – who is undergoing treatment for cancer and had only been reunited with his youngest son’s family in July – by surprise.

“King Charles only learned of the Sussexes’ plans days ago, leaving Prince William and Kate Middleton blindsided by a decision that could dramatically change the royal family’s delicate new reality,” royal expert Rob Shuter observed on his Naughty But Nice substack.
“That tells you everything,” a source told Shuter. “If this were really about rebuilding trust with the royal family, the palace would have been given the respect of making the announcement.
“Instead, Harry and Meghan made the announcement themselves in America.”
It’s understood King Charles has welcomed the opportunity to see more of the Sussexes in a private capacity, but he is said to have been clear that Harry and Meghan’s status as non-working royals will not change.
There had been hints of Harry’s desire to forge a closer relationship with his family and birth country in recent weeks.
In July it was reported that Harry had been feeling “great sadness” over an enduring disconnect.
“It’s been a real point of great sadness – for Harry especially – that he’s been unable to bring his wife and kids back to the UK safely to reconnect with friends and family, but anyone would understand his desire to put their safety first,” a source close to Harry told NewsCorp.
“He would love to introduce the children to his wider family, to show them the UK, where he grew up – his homeland. That would be a natural thing for any parent.”
Steps were made in that direction when Harry and Meghan and their kids secretly snuck into Highgrove – the King’s Gloucestershire estate – on July 10, for a reunion which lasted for more than an hour.
At the time, royal expert Tom Skyles, the man behind The Royalist substack, described the achievement as the Sussexes claiming the “biggest prize”.
More recently, the Sunday Times reported that the frequency of Harry’s trips to the UK would “increase” ahead of the Invictus Games in 2027.
“He wants more and more of a foothold here, more trips back, less courtroom drama. And he always loves seeing his family,” a source told the outlet.
And yet, nobody appeared to be expecting Harry and Meghan to return to British soil long-term – leading to whispers that all is not as well with Charles’ health as the dependable monarch would have it publicly perceived.

Details about the King’s cancer fight have been scarce since he went public in February 2024 to say he had been diagnosed with a form of the disease, discovered during treatment for an enlarged prostate.
In December 2025, he shared the “good news” that “thanks to early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to ‘doctor’s orders’” his own schedule of treatment could be “reduced” in the new year.
While the type of cancer Charles has has not been revealed, it has been confirmed that he does not have prostate cancer.
Harry himself opened the door to conjecture over the King’s wellbeing in a May 2025 interview with the BBC, in which he discussed an ongoing row over his security arrangements.
“Life is precious. I don’t know how much longer my father has. He won’t speak to me because of this security stuff. But it would be nice to reconcile,” the prince said at the time.

More recently, Queen Camilla shared rare details about her husband’s cancer battle, revealing for the first time how she was forced to keep it secret during a visit to the Maggie’s Royal Free cancer support centre in London in January 2024.
“I remember coming to see a Maggie’s just after The King being diagnosed. Nobody could say anything at the time. That was quite difficult,” Camilla shared in a seven-minute film in support of the charity.
“I almost said something but, you know, I felt that it wasn’t the time to say. [I] looked at everybody who was suffering and all the relations and I think it made me realise even more how important these places were.
“I was just longing to let it out, but obviously I couldn’t.”
Now, an insider tells Woman’s Day that Camilla was “terrified” about the “terrifying possibility of losing her husband”, explaining that Harry’s unexpected return to the UK will only fuel further speculation about that very possibility coming true.
“Even now, as [Charles] continues in his recovery, Camilla’s not taking anything for granted. But they are tackling the disease head on and being as proactive as they possibly can,” the source adds.
“She is so proud of the courage he’s shown and how hard he continues to serve the Crown.”

The insider explains that Charles “has made it very clear” that he doesn’t wish to share specific details of his condition with many people, even within the royal family, and Camilla has “totally honoured” that.
“Barely anyone in her own inner circle is aware of the extent or the finer details of His Majesty’s medical condition,” the source continues.
“That’s been difficult for Camilla, since she would no doubt have benefited from being able to share her own stress and anxiety over the situation, particularly at the start when it was all so ultra scary.
“But she’s a vault when it comes to keeping secrets, and since that is her husband’s will she agrees it’s her unequivocal duty to honour him.”
So how is Harry dealing with an increasing realisation about his father’s mortality?
An insider told Woman’s Day that, having secured a long-awaited reunion with his father, the “overzealous” prince now wants “to make up for lost time”.
“[Charles] wants this relationship, but he wants to rebuild it at a pace that’s comfortable for him,” the source said.
“The problem is, it’s becoming pretty obvious that the Sussexes are in much more of a hurry to keep building on things. Harry wants to see his dad as often as physically possible.”
Getty
Share this post