Foods to avoid
- All baked items (bread, biscuits, cakes, pastry)
- All grains (rice, wheat, oats, barley, couscous)
- Pasta and pasta products
- Potatoes and potato products (chips, French fries, wedges)
- High fat diary produce (ice-cream, whole milk, full fat cheeses including brie, cheddar, Camembert etc)
- Selected meat (fatty cuts, ribs, chicken/turkey wings and drumsticks, duck, processed meats, honey-baked ham, bacon, liver)
- Sweetened condiments, e.g. tomato, barbecue, sweet chilli sauce
Foods to eat
- Choose from 100g lean meat, chicken and turkey breast, boiled ham
- Fresh fish and fish canned in brine
- Low fat cheese and low fat dairy (two cups a day)
- Up to ½ cup legumes or pulses (adzuki beans, black eyed peas, black beans, butter beans, kidney beans, lentils, lime beans, haricot beans etc)
- Selected vegetables (artichokes, rocket, asparagus, broccoli, bok choy, brussel sprouts, cabbage, capers, cauliflower, celery, spinach, silverbeet, eggplant, endive, fennel, garlic, green beans, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, peppers, pickles, radishes, spring onion, seaweed, snow peas, tomato, watercress, zucchini).
- 1 serve of any of the following nuts each day: 15 almonds, 4 brazil nuts, 15 cashews, 3 tbs flax seeds, 25 hazelnuts, 8 macadamia nuts, 2 tbs peanut butter, 20 peanuts, 1 tbs pine nuts, 30 pistachios, 3 tbs pumpkin seeds, 3 tbs sesame or sunflower seeds, 15 walnuts.
- ½ tbs of the following oils (canola, olive, corn, flax, grapeseed, safflower, sesame)
- Other fats (1/3 avocado, 1 tbs no-sugar mayonnaise, 15 olives)
- Seasonings (pepper, no-added-sugar salsa, lemon and lime juice, horseradish sauce, ½ tbs soy sauce, tamari, ½ tbs miso, stock).