How you can help those affected by the drought:
- Donate to CommBank's Christmas Drought Appeal. Every dollar from this fund will directly support Rural Aid and the Australian Red Cross and the vital work they are doing to support Aussie farmers and communities impacted by drought and other disasters. You can make donations via the CommBank app until Christmas Day. "People are more connected to rural communities and understand people living there and how agriculture works and how drought affects it. Opening that communication and really challenging how we buy and where we choose to place our money is the real benefit of these campaigns," says Ash.
- Spend time in rural communities. "If anyone is travelling and you can go through a small town, and you can stop and have lunch, or buy from the local shops, it helps."
- Stop and chat. "We love talking about agriculture, we love talking about what we do, we love talking about how we produce it — so please, go and have a conversation with a farmer!"
- Spread the word. "Ultimately, we just want people to understand that even though it's quite challenging at the moment, they're still really great places to see, so if you're travelling through rural Australia and having a great time, post about it."
- #BuyFromTheBush. If you can't make it out a rural community before Christmas, check out the great local produce and products for sale from bush businesses. You can find them on Instagram (@buyfromthebush) or online.