/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
International Royals

Princess Charlene’s children's sweet display on Monaco's National Day as she leaves the country to recover from her lengthy illness

What her husband revealed about her whereabouts.

By Maddison Leach
Princess Charlene's twins have held up adorable signs urging their mother to get well soon as they attended a special event in Monaco without her.
Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, six, stood on the balcony of the Prince's Palace with their father, Prince Albert II, to celebrate Monaco's National Day on November 19.
Though mum Charlene, who has been ill for months, couldn't attend the festivities, she wasn't far from the children's thoughts as they held up signs for her.
"We miss you mummy," read Gabriella's sign, while Jacques' had written: "We love you mummy".
Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella's signs featured sweet messages for their mother. (Getty)
The signs were a sweet tribute to honour their mother while she recovers from a lengthy health battle at a secret location in Monaco.
Charlene was first diagnosed with a severe ear, nose and throat infection earlier this year, while in her native South Africa for a funeral and wildlife project.
She underwent surgery in May, then had follow up procedures in the following months to treat complications from the first surgery.
The illness led doctors to ban Charlene from flying back to Monaco, where her husband and children were waiting for her.
Prince Albert with his and Princess Charlene's children. (Getty)
Prince Albert and their twins travelled to South Africa to reunite with her in August, but it wasn't until October that she was cleared to fly home to Monaco to be with them.
Albert previously said that his wife would be able to attend the National Day celebrations on November 19, but those plans were dashed last week when the palace announced Charlene needed more time to recover from her health battle.
On November 16 the palace announced that she would be taking a break from public duties, with no date set for her to return to public life.
"Their Serene Highnesses have both decided that a period of calm and rest is necessary to ensure the very best recovery for Princess Charlene's health," the statement read.
"Having battled with poor health over the past few months, the Princess is currently convalescing and will continue to do so for the coming weeks, allowing her time to recover from a state of profound general fatigue.
"In order to protect the comfort and privacy essential to her recovery, the Princess' location will remain strictly confidential."
More recently, Prince Albert confirmed that his wife has retreated to a location outside of Monaco to continue her recovery.
"She is better, but she still needs rest and peace," Prince Albert told Monaco-Matin in an interview last Wednesday.
"She is not in the Principality, but we will be able to visit it very soon."
He added: "I cannot say more for discretion. There is fatigue, not just physical, that can only be treated with a period of rest and follow-up."
There has been speculation about her lengthy stay in South Africa, with some critics suggesting it hints at tensions within her marriage to Albert.
News that Charlene has left Monaco again so soon after returning has only fanned the flames of these rumours.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg