/assets/images/headerlogos/WD-logo.svg
British Royal Family

Concerns mount as The Queen cancels her Christmas travel plans

Only 30 minutes before The Queen and Prince Philip were expected to board their train to Sandringham, it was confirmed the trip would be cancelled due to ill health.

By Candice Mehta-Culjak
On December 21, Buckingham Palace released a statement explaining The Queen’s last-minute change in travel arrangements.
In an official statement a palace spokesperson said, "The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh have heavy colds, and so have decided not to travel to Sandringham today."
The news comes as a surprising change in routine for the 90-year-old monarch.
Along with husband Prince Philip, 95, her Majesty had been expected to take the 10.44am train from London King's Cross to make her annual journey to King's Lynn in Norfolk.
It’s a journey which the pair have taken many times before, each time paying for a standard First Class return fare.
Traditionally, the trip signals the start of the royals Christmas break at Sandringham.
It is unclear whether the royal pair will recover in time to spend Christmas with the rest of the royal family in Sandringham.
The Queen has previously referred to her husband Prince Philip as her "strength and stay".
There is also speculation that the trip was cancelled due to heightened security fears, in the wake of this week’s terrorist attack in Berlin.
According to Hello! some royal watchers have suggested that the couple might instead travel to Sandringham by helicopter. However, this is yet to be confirmed.

The sudden departure from tradition comes just one day after the Queen announced she will take a step back in 2017.
In light of her 90th birthday this April, Buckingham Palace have released a statement, advising that Britain's longest-reigning monarch will step down as patron from a number of national organisations in the coming months.
The Queen will begin to share her responsibilities with many of her family members, especially the heir to the throne, her son Prince Charles.
"Her Majesty will continue to serve as Patron to hundreds of charities and institutions but will now share this work with her family," the statement said.
We wish the royals a speedy recovery!

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/WD-logo.svg