/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
British Royal Family

Prince Philip has undergone heart surgery and “will remain in hospital” according to a new statement from The Palace

''For treatment, rest and recuperation.''

By Maddison Hockey
Prince Philip has undergone heart surgery after being admitted to hospital a fortnight ago.
Overnight Buckingham Palace released a statement confirming the operation as well as giving concerned royal fans an assuring update on his condition.
"His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days," the palace said.
The surgery is said to have been undertaken to treat a pre-existing heart condition of the Duke's.
Prince Philip was first admitted to a London hospital on February 17 as a precaution due to feeling unwell.
The 99-year-old was then transferred from King Edward VII's Hospital to St Bartholomew's Hospital in London on March 2nd.
In a statement at the time, the Palace explained: "The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII's Hospital to St Bartholomew's Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition."
The statement continued: "The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week."
Prince William gave an update on the Duke while visiting a vaccination centre in eastern England prior to surgery.
"Yes, he's OK, they're keeping an eye on him," William reportedly said with a wink.
Philip has spent much of the last year isolated at Windsor with Queen Elizabeth due to the COVID pandemic.
Back in January this year, Philip and the Queen received their COVID vaccinations at Windsor castle. The royals were soon followed by their son Prince Charles, who reportedly acquired the virus along with his son William.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg