Prince Harry announced the exciting news in a three-minute video posted by Kensington Palace’s official Twitter account on Wednesday, March 16.
"I always hoped the Invictus story would continue after the London games," the 31-year-old royal said.
"And having seen so many new people benefit from their journey to Orlando this year, I definitely didn't want it to end here. So today, I am absolutely delighted to announce that the Invictus legacy will continue when Toronto hosts the third Invictus Games in September 2017."
"It is a year steeped in rich Canadian military history, marking the anniversaries of historic battles that shaped and defined the nation," the prince said.
"It's also the year when Canada will commemorate its 150th anniversary of Confederation. I can't think of a better way to mark this milestone than by paying tribute to the soldiers and veterans who have served their country so bravely and to support them along their journey to recovery."
It has since been announced that Canadian-born actor Mike Myers will be the event’s special guest.
“[The soldiers] represent an unconquerable, Invictus spirit," Mike said.
"They've been bloodied by war, undergone surgery upon surgery, facing some of the darkest pain imaginable. Yet, each of them have an unwillingness to let circumstance determine fate. I am inspired to help generate a wider understanding and respect for those who serve their country, as well as their families and caregivers.”
The competition that was created by the royal involves athletes who are wounded and ill military servicemen and women from 15 countries including Afghanistan, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Iraq, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States.
While no event occurred last year, the first Invictus Games took place in Harry’s hometown of London at Olympic Park back in 2014.
This year, the sporting event will be held in Orlando, America. There are only 50 days to go until the games begin and he is urging support for the 500 men and women from around the world who are making their final preparations for competition in what will be "an unbelievable few days."
"There will be 500 unique stories of grit and determination on show, as each competitor takes to the track, pool or court," he said.
Paying tribute to the "soldiers and veterans who have served their country so bravely" he revealed next year's contest will involve more countries, and more competitors taking part than ever before.
Meanwhile, Prince Harry couldn’t have a busier schedule as he plans to make his very first trip to Nepal later this month, at the request of Her Majesty's Government.
He follows in the footsteps of his parents, Princess Diana and Prince Charles, along with grandparents the Queen and Prince Philip, who have all made official visits to the county.
The charming prince has decided to shun ritzy accommodation; instead he’ll stay with a local Nepalese family. Hello! were told by a palace official that the redhead will “sleep in a small, rural home in a remote hillside village.”
His decision to stay with the locals was explained in a statement by a royal spokesperson, who said, “[Harry] has been moved by the stories of resilience of the Nepali people following the earthquakes last year."
He will be staying in the Pokhara region with a family that has ties with the famed Gurkha regiment, whose soldiers are drawn from Nepal.
His spokesman continued: "Prince Harry is hugely appreciative of this invitation, which will further enable him to deepen his understanding of the Gurkhas."
The former military man spoke briefly about his impending trip.
“Hopefully by doing this trip it will shine a spotlight back onto the issue and people will realise there is still a hell of a lot that needs to be done.”
On Wednesday he attended a briefing for his upcoming trip in London alongside charity MapAction, who help those who have suffered from the recent earthquake.