/assets/images/headerlogos/WD-logo.svg
British Royal Family

Meghan Markle reportedly changing plans for Netflix series after Obama birthday rumours

“Now they're casting their eyes around.”

By Maddison Leach
Meghan Markle has reportedly had to change her plans for her upcoming Netflix series after a supposed snub.
The Duchess of Sussex was allegedly hoping to cast Michelle Obama as a voice actress in her animated series, Pearl, which sees a young girl take inspiration from powerful women in history.
However, that plan seems to have changed following former President Barack Obama's 60th birthday.
Multiple outlets claim Meghan and Prince Harry were upset at not being invited to Barack's extravagant birthday party in August.
In response to the supposed "snub", Meghan is now said to be eyeing up other "big-name voiceover" talents to cast in her upcoming series.
Meghan Markle is reportedly shifting gears with her Netflix series. (Getty)
"Now Michelle Obama was one that Meghan Markle was very keen to sign up but that went through the pan when they didn't get an invite to that spectacular 60th birthday for the former President," royal commentator Neil Sean told The Express.
He claimed that Michelle Obama was not "on the backburner", but that there was tension over an undelivered present from the Sussexes to Barack Obama.
As such, Meghan is looking to other influential women to voice major roles in Pearl, including pal Oprah Winfrey.
"Now they're casting their eyes around to see who else they could really connect with and one of the ideas would be their friend for now, loosely speaking, the chat show queen Oprah Winfrey," Sean claimed.
There was mass speculation over the Obama's decision not to invite Harry and Meghan to Barack's 60th celebrations on August 4.
Beyonce, Steven Spielberg and Alicia Keys were all on the guest list for the "scaled back" celebrations, which were held as COVID-19 cases continued to rise in the US.
Several outlets claimed that Meghan was frustrated by the snub, with royal commentators saying it would have been a "blow" to her and Harry.
"The fact is, Harry and Meghan were never even on the original list (of 475 guests)," author Angela Levin told The Sun.
Former President Barack Obama and wife Michelle did not invite the Sussexes to his 60th birthday. (Getty)
Some commentators claimed that the Obamas were also put off by Harry and Meghan's less flattering comments about the royal family.
As for why the couple would expect an invite, until recently it was suggested that Meghan in particular was friendly with Michelle Obama.
Previously, Michelle voiced her support for the royal couple, telling Access Hollywood: "My hope is that, when I think about what they're going through, I think about the importance of family.
"I just pray that there is forgiveness and there is clarity and love and resolve at some point in time … because there's nothing more important than family."

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/WD-logo.svg