Why it happens
Are you in a toxic friendship? Here are some of the signs...
- They keep trying to change you. You begin to feel that you are not good enough the way you are.
- You feel they are competing with you rather than supporting your successes.
- It's all about them, always – they don't listen to you, and twist the conversation back to them when you try to express yourself.
- They're overly dependent – you begin to feel burdened and become more concerned with their needs and feelings than your own.
- They're meddling in your life and not respecting your boundaries. They give unasked for opinions, and take liberties on your behalf.
- They ghost you or are inconsistently available to you. They don't explain what's happening or why so you are left anxious and uncertain.
- They exclude or isolate you from social events or other parts of their life. They are a closed book and refuse to let you in to some aspects of themselves.
- They break promises and are unreliable. You begin to feel wary and untrusting that they will do what they say.
- They are hyper-critical and judgemental. You find yourself constantly apologising or on the defence.
Are they an energy vampire?
Help at hand
If they are indeed toxic for you they will respond in uncaring ways that will make it much clearer – and in some ways easier – to end your association with them."