5 tips for preparing your toddler for a new baby
- Talk about it to them as soon as the news is public so they can get excited about the growing bump and baby to come. Read stories about new baby arrivals. Let them feel baby kicking and talk to your bump.
- Explain how any routines (like who drops them at day care) will change once bub arrives. Tell them often how much you love them, especially after the birth.
- Let them be involved with the prep and invite them to make small decisions (that you don't mind about) such as what colour teddy baby would like.
- Mindfully make 'special time' with your toddler when baby is sleeping and also involve them as much as is safely possible with caring for bubs.
- Warn friends to treat your toddler the same, taking the time to talk to them before they look at the baby.