Viral News

7-year-old Julian Cadman confirmed dead following Barcelona terror attack

The seven-year-old Sydney boy has been confirmed as one of the 14 people killed in last week's terror attacks.

By Holly Royce
Last week's Barcelona terror attack has injured at least 100 people and claimed the lives of 14, including seven-year-old Sydney boy Julian Cadman.
He and his mother Jumarie “Jom” Cadman were struck down in the attack in Barcelona, Spain on Thursday.
A statement has been released by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia from Julian's family.
It reads:
“Julian was a much loved and adored member of our family. As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us."
“He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces. We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts."
“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian. Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time. We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected."
“We will not be making any further comments on this tragedy and ask everyone, especially the media, to give us the privacy we need to grieve away from the public eye.”
The terror attack has already claimed the lives of at least 14 people.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop also released a statement, explaining she was "deeply saddened to confirm” the boy was among those who lost their lives in the attack.
“We remain in close contact with the family who has requested privacy at this difficult and harrowing time,” Bishop said. “The Australian Government will continue to provide consular assistance to those caught up in the attacks, and their loved ones.”
The boy's father, Andrew Cadman, 42, is flew from Sydney to Barcelona on Friday.
A family friend, known only as Scott, told Sydney's 2GB Radio that the child’s father, who had stayed behind in Australia, learned of the terrorist attack shortly after arriving at work.
"He turned up to work this morning, turned the news on at six o'clock, heard about it, tried to ring his missus but couldn't get a hold of her," he said on Friday afternoon.
"By about 8.30am we found out that it was her in the hospital. She's in a very serious condition... But we found out about an hour later that his seven-year-old son wasn’t with her, he's missing and we haven't heard anything since. They don't know if he's still with us or not."
Our thoughts are with Julian's friends and family during this terrible time.