Real Life

Real life: I was attacked with a stiletto

Our night out soon turned into a living nightmare.

By As told to Take 5

Kyle Johns, 19, Brisbane, Qld tells his shocking real life story:

My mate Calum and I had just stepped outside of the club for some fresh air when a panic-stricken look came over his face.
"What's wrong, dude?" I asked.
"My wallet," he gulped. "It's gone."
Pulling out his phone, he saw there was already $200 missing from his bank account.
Desperate to find his wallet, we frantically began to retrace our steps, but after lots of searching it seemed like it was gone.
Calum lashed out at a garbage bin in frustration, hitting it with his fists.
It wasn't like him to be so angry, but I could understand why he'd lost his cool.
We'd just come out for a few drinks, and now everything had gone pear-shaped.
As Calum's hand ricocheted off the bin, we heard a voice booming from behind us.
"Think you're tough or something?" a strange man said.
He was storming towards us with a brunette woman in towering heels by his side.
"Sorry mate, he's just had his wallet stolen," I said, hoping this would be the end of it.
But the man and woman kept shouting at us, following our footsteps as we tried to walk away.
Me (left) and Calum - we were so shocked by the event. (Image exclusive to Take 5)
"Guys, please leave us alone," I urged.
It was 2am and the last thing I wanted was to be hassled by strangers.
My words only irritated them further.
"Want my f---ing heel in your eyeball?" the woman sneered.
I was completely taken aback by the comment – we didn't even know these two.
Why were they so intent on causing trouble?
Calum and I carried on walking up the road when our assailants teamed up with some other guys.
I heard heavy footsteps behind us and next thing, they punched Calum in the head and he fell to the ground.
Then they started stomping all over him.
Before I could do anything, I saw the girl storming towards me with both of her stilettos in her hands.
Whack! Blood was gushing down my face.
"What was that for?" I asked in complete disbelief.
"Yeah, it's not so funny now, is it, you c--t," she jeered, raising the stiletto to take another swing.
Thinking quickly, I ducked and missed the next blow.
Video footage on the night captured what happened. (Video credit: Payton David)
I'd been brought up to never hit a woman and couldn't understand why she was doing this to me.
I was writhing with pain but managed to push the woman off as she lunged again, determined to strike me with her shoes before I collapsed to the ground.
Is she going to kill me with her stilettos? I wondered.
Thankfully, a crowd had gathered and someone pulled the woman off me and she ran off. Calum was also back on his feet.
"Mate, are you okay?" he choked.
I was in a pool of my own blood and my head was throbbing.
"Yeah," I wavered. "Can you call Mum?"
Police arrived a second later, along with paramedics who put me in an ambulance.
Cops reassured me that the woman had been taken into custody.
When I got to the emergency room my mum, Susan, was already there.
She was asleep when Calum had called but raced to the hospital in record time. She took one look at me and burst into tears.
I had no idea what I looked like, but it couldn't have been good.
A nurse gave Mum gauze to clean my blood-covered face and then a doctor put three staples to close the four-centimetre gash in my head.
I'd suffered a concussion too. Hours later Mum drove me home.
As the sun started to rise, I felt groggy and couldn't wait to get to sleep.
My face was battered. (Image: Supplied)
The following day, Mum shared photos of what had happened to me on Facebook.
The post went viral and thousands of people were so shocked by what had happened.
Someone contacted Mum saying they'd witnessed the whole incident and took a video, too.
We sat and watched the clip, which shows the lead-up to the attack.
It made me feel sick to relive that moment.
The following day we took the evidence to the police and gave a full statement.
Waiting for the justice system to run its course was agonising. All I wanted was closure.
Police found my attacker, Jazzmin Fry, a 21-year-old who worked as a real estate property manager.
Her defence team contacted the police to recommend we settle the incident through mediation.
"No," I said sternly. "The time for talking ended when she put a stiletto in my head."
We went to two court hearings and nothing happened so we skipped the next one because we didn't think Jazzmin would actually appear.
But the next morning, Mum rang the court to check and discovered the case was now closed!
I was rushed to emergency. (Image: Supplied)
Fry pleaded guilty to assault and no conviction was recorded.
She left the court with a measly $250 fine.
She could have killed me and now walked away from the incident basically scot-free.
I was so disappointed.
Months later, I am suffering from PTSD and struggle to leave the house.
I feel really let down.
I'd been a first-year law student but now I've lost a lot of faith in the system.
Jazzmin Fry pleaded guilty to assault and no conviction was recorded. (Image: Ray White)
Jazzmin said:
It was a drunken act. It was my 21st birthday and it's not me. I don't know why I did that and I wasn't in the right mind frame.

read more from