Real Life

REAL LIFE: My boyfriend attacked me and left me for dead

We’d just popped up to the bottle-O when the night turned to terror.

By Brittany Smith

Biancca Campbell, 21, Koolewong, NSW shares her real life story;

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me," my boyfriend, James, 20, said as wrapped his arms around me.
He was so charming.
After meeting through a friend we started dating and had been going strong for two months.
James even invited me to live with him. But it wasn't long before James started acting moody and angry.
One night, I was scrolling through my phone in bed when he woke up.
I jumped as he grabbed my phone and threw 
it across the room.
"Slut," he muttered.
Before I even had time to process what had happened, he was crying.
"I'm sorry, babe," he choked.
I couldn't believe how his temper changed.
It was like he was a different person. 
I was scared but when I tried to leave, James begged me to stay.
"I can't live without you," he wailed.
I was so confused.
A few months later we were walking back to James' car, after popping into a bottle-o, when he started yelling at me.
In the middle of a dark park, 
I was petrified but didn't want him to leave me here alone.
"Calm down, baby," I said.
But his eyes were wild. 
I touched his hand and as 
I did, he raised his arm.
He gripped the longneck 
beer and clenched his jaw.
Then, smash! The glass bottle struck my left temple and shattered.
My face felt cold and numb 
as I collapsed to the ground.
Then everything went black.
Next thing, James sat me 
up and brought me back 
to consciousness.
As I blinked in a daze, 
I watched him run away. He hopped in his car and drove off, leaving me 
there without a second thought.
I tried to get up, tears mixing with blood across my face.
Shattered glass pricked at my skin.
I faded in and out of consciousness until 
a man found me.
"Help," I croaked.
I ended up in hospital.
When police and ambos arrived, James came back too.
"Why did you run?" I sobbed.
"I didn't mean for it to happen, I love you," he said.
Paramedics tended to me, while police spoke to James.
"It was an accident," he said.
"She tackled me and the glass smashed."
I was livid but too weak 
to argue.
Thankfully, he was taken to the station while 
I was whisked off to hospital.
"You have a fractured skull," 
a doctor said.
They operated but I was left with a permanent depression in 
my skull.
My skull has a permanent depression from the bottle.
James was charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm.
He acted remorseful but when he looked at me 
in court, he grinned.
James Russell pleaded guilty and was sentenced to one year and nine months in jail but the court ruled he could serve that time in the community.
I couldn't believe it. I had
 a permanent hole in my head but my abuser didn't even have to spend one night in jail.
Now three years have passed and I have a gorgeous daughter, Savannah and a loving partner.
I'm free from James' abuse but I suffer from PTSD and depression.
Every time I look in the mirror I see the small dip in 
my skull.
It's a constant reminder of that night.
That creep left me for dead and got a slap on the wrist.
Domestic violence is an epidemic and we can't let these men 
get away 
with it.
My daughter Savannah is my light
White Ribbon is a domestic violence primary prevention campaign – specifically, they work to change the attitudes and behaviours that lead to violence against women.
If you or someone you know is experiencing violence and need help or support, please contact one of the support hotline at 1800 737 732.

read more from