THE parents of a young backpacker who died in Indonesia after drinking cheap, poisonous alcohol have launched a campaign to warn travellers of the dangers.
The Save-a-Life campaign comes after Cheznye Emmons, 23, died after buying what she thought was gin while travelling in Sumatra.
The bottle contained methanol (also known as methyl alcohol) which is a colourless liquid with a mild alcohol odour. When ingested, it is extremely poisonous and is known to cause blindness, kidney failure, seizures and death.
Cheznye had been travelling with her boyfriend when she became sick, and then blind. Her death comes after the death of Perth backpacker, Liam Davies, who died after drinking contaminated alcohol while celebrating New Years’ Eve in Lombok.
Methanol is deliberately added to strengthen or stretch illegal alcoholic drinks, especially spirits sold in bars, shops and hotels in Bali, Lombok and Sumatra.
Figures suggest 280 people have died from illicit alcohol poisoning since 2011 in Indonesia.
- MakeupThe best beauty advent calendars to get for the holiday season
Now To LoveYesterday 3:49pm
- Christmas Lifestyle9 affordable adult Christmas advent calendars to bring a little extra joy into your life
Now To LoveYesterday 3:31pm
- Christmas LifestyleSpoil the little ones every day until Christmas with these to-die-for advent calendars
Now To LoveYesterday 3:23pm
- Fashion TrendsSmall but mighty backpacks for all of your travel needs
Now To LoveYesterday 2:34pm
- MakeupGet the Cate Blanchett glow with 9 of the most flawless dewy foundations for mature skin
Now To LoveYesterday 1:19pm
- Fashion TrendsAvoid the dreaded straps with these 9 strapless bras that aren't going anywhere
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas EntertainingLevel up your cracker game with these luxury bon bons for Christmas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Fashion Trends8 sunglasses brands to keep your eye on this summer
Now To LoveNov 30, 2023