/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
Local News

Pregnant woman has emergency caesarean after food poisoning from local bakery

“For your first child – or any child – you don’t expect for it to pan out like that."

A woman was forced to undergo an emergency caesarean after eating from a Southern Sydney bakery linked to a salmonella breakout.
Ashley Buchanan ate at the Box Village Bakery in Sylvania on Sunday after a birthing class with her husband.
The couple ate a hot chicken roll each and both were admitted to hospital with severe food poisoning by Sunday night, 9news reports.
“The infection was so severe and I was so sick,” she told 2UE Breakfast hosts, John Stanley and Garry Linnel.
By Tuesday, her condition was so bad that doctors had to perform an emergency C-section, despite Ashley only being 35 weeks pregnant.
“For your first child – or any child – you don’t expect for it to pan out like that. We were just so lucky that the doctors got this in time,” she said.
“It was all quite frightening because my blood pressure went right down and they had to rush me to ICU straight after delivery.”
The couple’s daughter, Ava, is healthy and well, however Ashley’s husband was still in hospital at the time of her birth so missed seeing his daughter being born.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg