Local News

One Nation insiders reveal party's policies designed to "intimidate and frighten people"

"If the public knew what went on in the party I don't think they'd have anything to do with One Nation," one former member said.

By Kate Wagner
Cracks begin to show in the One Nation party after insiders, candidates and long-term loyalists speak of the in-fighting that’s engulfed the party.
A number of former One Nation members told Four Corners they were intimidated by Senator Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby who they say keeps “dirt files” on politicians to silence them.
Former One Nation candidate, Dane Sorenson, showed Four Corners a copy of the “candidate agreement” form which includes a financial penalty of $250,000 if an elected candidate quits the party.
"It doesn't bear any relationship to the costs of you being elected, it's a punitive measure designed purely to intimidate and frighten people," he said.
Mr Sorenson said he refused to sign the agreement, which also requires candidates to pay upfront fees and quarterly donations if elected, as well as an imposed 75 per cent cap on reimbursement from expenses, with One Nation keeping the other 25 per cent.
"If the public knew what went on in the party I don't think they'd have anything to do with One Nation," he said.
Senator Hanson disendorsed Sorenson for being "belligerent and abusive" and rejecting party policies.
Four Corners understands the $250,000 fee has been removed from amended versions of the candidate agreement form.
The program also covered the ramifications of the preference deal with the Liberal Party, which was widely perceived to be a mistake for both parties.
When Sandy Baraiolo, the One Nation candidate for the Perth seat Thornlie, took to Facebook to complain about the deal after Senator Hanson had told her no preference deals would be made, she was disendorsed over the phone.
"You can't trust Pauline Hanson … She'll sell you one thing and she'll do something completely different," Ms Baraiolo said.
"Pauline Hanson is all about Pauline Hanson."
The preference deal also resulted in Margaret Dodd quitting the party.
"She is a populist, she goes on things that will get her the attention that she wants, get her in that power position that she wants,” she told Four Corners.
"It's about power for Pauline."