/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
Local News

Mum goes inside to get an ice block, returns to find son unconscious in pool

Despite the three-year-old using a floatation device, his mother came back to find him face down in the water.

By Ellie McDonald
In what’s been a tragic summer for the loved ones of the 23 people who have drowned since Christmas Day, now, a young boy is in an induced coma after being found unconscious in his family’s pool.
According to Kidspot and the Blacktown Advocate, it is being reported that at around midday, the boy was swimming in a flotation ring at his home in Sydney’s Seven Hills when his mum quickly ducked inside to get an ice block.
When she returned, she discovered his flotation ring had flipped and he was face down in the water, unconscious.
Commenting on how long the boy had been underwater, an Ambulance NSW spokesman said “he would have been submerged in water for some time".
The boy was rushed to Westmead’s Children’s Hospital where he is said to be in a stable condition.
Speaking to 7 News, the boy’s distraught grandmother is understandably in shock.
“I can’t believe my little baby, such a happy boy too, loves water, unbelievable,” she said.
This comes after three children drowned in three separate incidents in the span of a week earlier this month.
The Royal Life Saving Society notes that over the last 10 years around 330 Australian children under the age of five drowned and has devised a comprehensive safety checklist for all pool owners, particularly those who are parents of young children.
If you would like to learn more about how you can keep your family safe in the water this summer, visit the Royal Life Saving Society’s webpage for more information.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg