/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
Local News

Hospital misdiagnosed baby who swallowed button battery

She woke in a pool of blood.

A one-year-old baby girl had been sent home from hospital on three separate occasions after a button battery became lodged in her oesophagus.
Little Isabella Reese died on February 4, 2015 – three hours after her mother Allison found her ‘saturated’ in her own blood, a Victorian coroner heard.
She died from multiple cardiac arrests while on the operating table at Sunshine Hospital, The Age reports.
The coroner heard Isabella’s family had first taken her to the hospital in January after she was crying and vomiting.
While her father says he told the hospital she had swallowed something, it was not recorded anywhere.
She was sent home but returned two days later with a fever.
Doctors said she had a urinary tract infection and was given antibiotics.
On January 21, she finished her course of antibiotics and the hospital noted she was improving.
However, she sadly passed away two weeks later.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg