How you can help drought-stricken farmers:
- Donate to CommBank's Christmas Drought Appeal. Every dollar from this fund will directly support Rural Aid and the Australian Red Cross and the vital work they are doing to support Aussie farmers and communities impacted by drought and other disasters. You can make donations via the CommBank app until Christmas Day.
- Spend time in rural communities. "If you feel like packing up for a weekend and going for a drive, spend a weekend in a regional town. Go to the pub for a meal, buy some petrol, meet some of the people. It makes a vast difference."
- Take locals out of the drought bubble. "You can't turn the tap on and make it rain, but you can provide some sort of stimulus to a small country town. It's interesting for us to meet different people and take us out of the bubble so we're not talking about drought all the time."
- Give up your time. Remember, it's not all about money. Giving your time and stopping for a chat can be just as valuable. "That's something everybody is capable of doing and it makes a massive difference [to the local community]."
- #BuyFromTheBush. If you can't make it out to a rural community before Christmas, check out the great local produce and products for sale from bush businesses. You can find them on Instagram (@buyfromthebush) or online.