A 29-year-old man is in a critical condition with a broken back after his e-cigarette exploded in this face.
News reports from Memphis, Tennessee, say the explosion shattered the man’s vertebrae, broke his neck, and left him with a gaping hole in his mouth.
In a statement, Cordero Caples’ family said he was smoking an e-cigarette on his work break Friday when it blew up.
Doctors have scheduled several surgeries to try to repair his spine.
"Any sudden move can cause him to be in a paralysed state, and that is something we don't want," his family said.
"He's going to need 24-hour care for a while and constant monitoring from family and friends and loved ones. You know it is heart breaking, but we're going to bond together.”
Deaths and serious injuries from e-cigarettes have been rising with the popularity of vaping.
- Local NewsOur fight to protect elderly Australians from financial abuse continues at Parliament House
Australian Women's WeeklyToday 6:22pm