Chilly winter weekends are the perfect time to finally update tired rooms in need of a refresh.
Scribbles, spills, toys and tantrums, the kids' playroom is subjected to them all, but it's also the one room where you can let loose and have some fun. So why not give it a little love while you're hibernating from the cold?
Makeovers don't have to be expensive, complicated or time-consuming. Something as simple as painting a chalkboard on the playroom wall can change the space completely in just a weekend. Plus, a chalkboard provides a blank canvas for the kids' creativity, saving your other walls from their impromptu masterpieces!
So set aside some time this weekend, head to your local hardware store and get creative. The kids will be primed for peak adventure every playtime.
Your shopping list:
- Dulux Design Effects Coloured Chalkboard paint. Teal Trip is the shade used here
- Painter's masking tape
- High quality sythentic brush
- Piece of chalk
- Soft cloth or chalkboard duster
Your step-by-step guide:
- To create a mountain feature with Dulux Design Coloured Chalkboard Effect, start by taping a mountain shape on your wall to get an even line.
- Use a good quality brush to cut in the paint around the edges, then finish with a short nap roller. Apply paint colour as desired.
- When first coat is dry (about two hours), apply a second coat. Allow to dry.
- Allow the final coat to dry and cure for at least 7 days before conditioning the chalkboard. To condition the board, rub the entire surface of the chalkboard vertically with the side of a piece of chalk, ensuring the chalkboard is completely covered. Then rub the entire surface horizontally with the side of a piece of chalk, again covering the chalkboard completely. Wipe with a soft cloth or chalkboard duster and blow off any excess chalk dust.
- The chalkboard is ready to use. Let your kids' imaginations run wild!