1.5 cups (375ml) milk
8 eggs, beaten lightly
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
9 (720g) fruit hot cross buns
50g butter, softened
3 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
raspberries and extra cream, to serve
icing sugar, to dust
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk the cream, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla together until combined.
- Cut the hot cross buns into slices horizontally, making a bottom, middle and top.
- Using a little of the softened butter, grease the base and sides of a 20cm x 30 cm (10-cup capacity) ovenproof dish.
- Combine the remaining butter with the cinnamon sugar in a small bowl. Spread butter mixture over base and middle slices of hot cross bun (leaving tops un-buttered).
Arrange buttered bases over the base of the dish. Pour over a third of the egg mixture. Stand for five minutes. Repeat the process, standing between layers, finishing with the tops of the hot cross buns and remaining egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 170 C/150 C fan. Bake the pudding for 50 minutes or until browned lightly, covering edges with foil during cooking if over-browning.
- Stand pudding for 15 minutes before serving. Serve the pudding warm topped with raspberries and extra cream and dusted with icing sugar.
Chocolate bread and butter pudding
30 gram unsalted butter, softened
1 orange, finely grated rind
120 gram dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup (250ml) milk
1 cup (250ml) pure cream, plus extra to serve
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pure icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Split hot cross buns in half horizontally; butter each half. Place bases in an 8 cup-capacity baking dish, buttered sides up. Scatter with orange rind, then replace bun tops.
- Heat chocolate, milk and cream in a saucepan on medium, stirring, until chocolate melts. Remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, caster sugar and vanilla, until combined. Stir in chocolate mixture, then pour over hot cross buns. Stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 35 minutes, until just set (centre will still be slightly runny). Stand 5 minutes. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with extra cream.