1. High tea was invented by Anna, Duchess of Bedford
2.‘Pinkies up’ is a faux pas
3. The Earl of Sandwich invented the ‘high tea sandwich’
4. Opulent tea rooms first appeared in Australia in the 1880s
5. Queen Elizabeth indulges in a high tea daily
6. According to Her Majesty, it's jam first, then cream for scones
7. The dos and don'ts of high tea
- Never start eating until everyone has been served.
- Avoid picking food from the tower with your fingers; use a fork if servers aren't provided.
- Never leave your spoon in the cup, always place it on the saucer instead.
- Look into — not over — your teacup when sipping. It's more polite!