Foreign students want an authentic experience, too. Many prefer to stay with a family – it helps them learn English faster and they want to interact with locals. “We are always on the lookout for host families,” explains Ross Sands, NavitasEnglish ELICOS director, student services and experience.
- Do you have public liability insurance? You need to cover your liability if you are found to be legally responsible for personal injury or damage to their property.
- Does your body corporate allow short-term rentals? Some apartment blocks don’t.
- Do the sums. How much will it cost to set up your space for rent? Include utility bills and food.
- Organise back-up to help with cleaning, cooking, driving and co-ordinating with the guest on when to pick up the key.
- Be prepared for higher maintenance bills when your home is used more intensively.