/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg
Diet & Nutrition

URGENT RECALL: Halloween toys from Woolworths potentially dangerous

The supermarket giant is recalling two spinning wands because of dangers caused to children by button batteries.

Woolworths has announced it is recalling two Halloween-themed spinning wands because they pose a risk that if cracked from being dropped, their button batteries could be exposed.
“This will cause serious injury if ingested by young children,” it’s official statement reads.
It has urged customers to “immediately cease using the products and return it to any Woolworths or Safeway supermarkets for a full refund”.
The LED spinning wands are shaped as a ghost or a pumpkin, and are powered by these potentially lethal button batteries.
As a reminder of how dangerous these tiny batteries are when swallowed, every week 20 children present to emergency departments for a button battery related incident, and there have been two deaths as a result of button battery injuries.
Consumer watchdog CHOICE, which is running a campaign to make all button batteries childproof, added its sense of urgency to this recall.
“With hordes of children out trick-or-treating this Halloween, it's crucial these toys are removed from circulation to avoid accidental ingestion of button batteries, particularly by young children who might not be so selective about what they're putting in their mouth,” Choice said.
Its spokesperson Tom Godfrey added: "Button batteries are powerful, slim and light, but they can also be lethal.
“This latest issue is yet another reminder of why it's vital that the federal government acts to reduce the number of children ending up in emergency departments across the country having swallowed a button battery."
Here are all the product details, as listed by CHOICE and Woolworths.
Toy description: 478661 Halloween Ghost and Pumpkin LED Spinning Wands
  • Where it was sold: in Woolworths and Safeway supermarkets nationally from 28 September 2016 to 18 October 2016.
  • Defect: Product may crack open when dropped, exposing the button cell batteries.
  • Hazard: Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injuries or death.
For more information about the recall you can call Woolworths' customer service toll-free on 1800 103 515.

read more from

/assets/images/headerlogos/AWW-logo.svg