- ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES (birth control pills): B vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium, selenium and zinc.
- l HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY: vitamin B6, vitamin B12, folate and magnesium.
- ANTI-DIABETES DRUG (metformin): folate, vitamin B12, coenzyme Q10.
- NON-STEROIDAL ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DRUGS: folate, iron.
- INDIGESTION AND ANTI-ULCER DRUGS (H2 antagonists and proton pump inhibitors) used to lower stomach acid: vitamin B12, folate, vitamin D and magnesium, calcium, iron and zinc; osteoporosis is a risk in the long term.
- SSRI ANTIDEPRESSANTS: vitamins B6, B12 and folate, vitamin D and sodium.
- STATINS (Cholesterol-lowering drugs): coenzyme Q10.
- DIURETICS (fluid tablets): B vitamins, magnesium, zinc and potassium.
- BETA-BLOCKERS: coenzyme Q10, melatonin.
- ANTIBIOTICS: Many antibiotics can deplete B vitamins. Also, while gut flora are not strictly nutrients, depletion of the important bacteria in your gut can affect the absorption and metabolism of some important nutrients. A probiotic is essential if you have taken antibiotics.
Vitamin B6: depression, dermatitis, conjunctivitis, mouth ulcers, sleepiness, nerve damage, anaemia.
Folate: anaemia, birth defects, abnormal Pap smears, depression, heart disease risk.
Vitamin C: weakened immune system, poor wound healing and easy bruising.
Vitamin D: bone weakness, bone pain, depression, increased risk of some cancers.
Calcium: bone weakness leading to osteoporosis, muscle stiffness, twitching, aching, poor sleep, dry skin and brittle nails, tooth decay.
Magnesium: decreased bone density leading to osteoporosis, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, accelerated ageing, insomnia, anxiety and depression, elevated blood pressure, irregular heartbeat and other heart problems.
Iron: fatigue, breathlessness, irritability, hair loss, weakness, dizziness, pallor.
Zinc: impaired immunity, dry skin, acne, loss of taste and smell, diarrhoea, mouth ulcers.
Coenzyme Q10: fatigue, impaired memory and concentration, muscle weakness, high blood pressure, heart failure and weakened immune system.