When the Elf on the Shelf comes out of hiding, you know Christmas is just around the corner.
But as we all know, our little Scout Elves need a little bit of extra help to find a new hiding spot each morning. In fact, sometimes, there are just not enough places to show them where to go.
So this year, instead of leaving them to their own devices and giving them the green light to causing a bit of mischief - how about giving them an edible playground, that not only will your kids delight in, but are able to enjoy the next day!
We've compiled three places for your Elf to hang out, while they wait for your little ones to awaken - and which can be enjoyed by the whole family!
ELF’S HOME GYM
MAKES 1 GYM
PREP 30 MINS
✦ 4 Wagon Wheels
✦ 1 grissini stick
✦ 2 x round jubes
✦ 4 mini Oreos
✦ 2 pretzel sticks
✦ 60cm licorice strap, trimmed 1cm wide
✦ 2 Strawberry White Choc Liquorice Stix
✦ 1 Royals biscuit
✦ 6cm piece licorice strap, trimmed 1cm wide
- For the barbells, using a small sharp knife, make 1cm wide holes in middle of Wagon Wheels. Thread two Wagon Wheels onto each side of grissini stick. Using a small sharp knife, cut a hole in middle of round jubes and thread onto ends of grissini stick. For the small barbells, using a small sharp knife or the end of a skewer, make holes in the middle of mini Oreos. Thread onto ends of two pretzel sticks.
- For jump rope, using a skewer make a hole 1cm deep into ends of licorice sticks, push ends of sour strap into sticks to form jump rope.
- For dumbbells, using a small toothpick, make two holes in top of Royals biscuit, about 2cm apart.Push licorice strap into holes to form top of dumbbell.
ELF’S CHRISTMAS CRUNCH SNACK MIX
MAKES 6 CUPS
PREP 10 MINS + SETTING
✦ 200g packet pretzels, halved
✦ 6 cups salted popcorn
✦ 340g bag Jaffas
✦ 1 cup dark choc melts, melted, cooled
- Line two oven trays with baking paper. Scatter trays with combined pretzels, popcorn and Jaffas.
- Drizzle mixture with dark chocolate. Set aside 10 mins for chocolate to firm.
ELF’S BEACH ADVENTURE
MAKES 1 BEACH PREP 30 MINS
✦ 395g can sweetened condensed milk
✦ 125g butter, chopped
✦ 2 x 250g packets plain sweet biscuits, crushed
✦ 1 cup desiccated coconut
✦ finely grated zest 2 lemons
✦ 3 x rice cookies
✦ 1½ cups white choc melts, melted
✦ 2 candy canes, crushed
✦ 2 round pretzels
✦ 4 red sour straps
✦ 1 rainbow sour strap, green part trimmed
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. In a saucepan, mix condensed milk and butter on low heat until melted and combined. In a bowl, combine biscuits, coconut and zest. Stir in condensed milk mixture. Spread over prepared tray. Chill 20 mins until firm.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Dip rice cookies in melted chocolate, shaking off excess. Arrange on tray.
- Transfer remaining chocolate into a piping bag and snip a small hole at end. Pipe surfboard and thongs shapes onto tray. Sprinkle edge of surfboard with candy canes. Break pretzels to form straps of thong and press into chocolate. Set aside 10 mins to firm. Trim red sour straps into 1cm-wide lengths and arrange around cookies to form buoys and tie the ends at the back of each cookie to secure. Use green part of sour trap for surfboard rope.
- Using the biscuit mixture as a sand base, arrange elf with beach decorations.