Sausage Roll Wreath
✦ 1 onion, finely chopped
✦ 1 carrot, grated
✦ 2 tbsp tomato sauce
✦ 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
✦ 500g beef mince
✦ 500g sausage mince
✦ 1 cup stale breadcrumbs
✦ 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
✦ ¼ cup milk
✦ ¼ cup sesame seeds
✦ tomato chutney, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook onion and carrot 5 mins until onion softens. Cool. In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, sauce, parsley, beef mince, sausage mince and the breadcrumbs. Season.
- Place 1 sheet of pastry on a board. Cut in half. Place one-sixth of the mince mixture along the centre of the pastry. Roll pastry to enclose mince mixture, brushing edges of pastry with a little milk to seal. Cut into 6 pieces. Repeat with remaining pastry and mince mixture.
- Arrange sausage rolls, seam-side down, on trays. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 20 mins until golden and puffed.
- Arrange 15 sausage rolls, side by side, in a circle. Arrange 9 sausage rolls in middle to form inner circle (you'll have some left over). Serve with tomato chutney.
Trifle Wreath Cake
✦ 460g store-bought double round sponge cake
✦ ¹⁄3 cup peach schnapps
✦ ½ cup thickened cream, whipped to stiff peaks
✦ 250g strawberries, sliced
✦ 1 yellow peach, sliced
✦ small mint leaves, raspberries, to serve
✦ 1 cup milk
✦ 1½ tbsp plain flour
✦ ¼ cup caster sugar
✦ 15g butter
✦ 2 egg yolks
✦ 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare jelly following packet instructions. Pour into a bowl. Chill overnight.
- CUSTARD In a medium saucepan, bring milk to boil. In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar and yolks. Beat in hot milk and butter. Transfer mixture to a clean saucepan and bring to boil. Cook 3 mins until thick. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour until cold.
- Trim tops of cakes to level. Using a 6.5cm cutter, cut middle out of cakes (use for another purpose). Brush cut cake parts with schnapps. Arrange 1 cake, cut-side up, on a board.
- Transfer cream to a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle. Transfer custard to a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle.
- Pipe cream and custard randomly over cake on board. Dollop with jelly. Arrange half the strawberries and peach over. Top with remaining cake, cut-side down. Decorate with remaining cream, custard, jelly and fruit.
- Serve topped with small mint leaves and raspberries. Dust with icing sugar, if you like.
Christmas Day Salad Wreath
✦ 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed
✦ 60g packet baby rocket leaves
✦ 200g tomato medley mix, sliced or halved
✦ 100g fetta, crumbled
✦ ¹⁄3 cup olive oil
✦ 1 tbsp lemon juice
✦ 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Blanch asparagus and broccolini in boiling salted water 2 mins. Refresh in chilled water. Drain. Trim broccolini into 3cm pieces.
- DRESSING In a jug, whisk oil, juice and garlic. Season.
- Arrange baby rocket in a 30cm circle on a serving platter. Top with tomato, asparagus and broccolini. Drizzle with dressing. Serve salad topped with crumbled fetta.
✦ 60g butter, chilled, chopped
✦ ¾ cup milk
✦ 2 tbsp tomato pizza sauce
✦ 1 cup grated pizza cheese
✦ 80g packet pepperoni, sliced
✦ ¼ cup chopped basil, plus small leaves to serve
✦ ½ green capsicum, finely chopped
✦ ½ small red onion, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
✦ torn bocconcini, halved cherry tomatoes, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Rub in butter, using fingertips. Season.
- Make a well in the centre of flour. Pour in milk, reserving 1 tbsp. Using a knife, "cut" through the mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Don't over-mix.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly. Press or roll out to form a 45cm rectangle 1cm thick.
- Spread pizza sauce over dough. Top with cheese, pepperoni, basil, capsicum and onion.
- Roll up to form a log, then bring edges together to join, to form a circle, brushing ends with a little reserved milk and pinching dough to seal. Cut dough into 3.5cm-thick slices around edge of wreath. Brush with remaining milk. Bake 25 mins until scrolls sound hollow when tapped.
- Sprinkle with extra finely chopped red onion. Serve topped with combined extra basil leaves, bocconcini and tomato.
✦ ¹⁄3 cup pure icing sugar
✦ 2 tbsp rice flour
✦ 250g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
✦ silver and white cachous, to decorate
✦ 1½ cups pure icing sugar, approximately
✦ 1 egg white
✦ ½ tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 3 oven trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour, icing sugar and rice flour together into a large bowl.
- Rub in butter, using fingertips, until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Press mixture together to form a firm dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently. Divide dough in half. Chill 30 mins.
- Roll half the dough out between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cut into discs, using a 6cm fluted round cutter. Cut out holes from middle using a 3cm cutter. Re-roll dough and continue cutting. Arrange on trays. Repeat with remaining dough, using a 4.5cm fluted cutter and 2cm round cutter.
- Bake 15-20 mins until lightly golden. Cool on trays 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ROYAL ICING Sift icing sugar through a very fine sieve. Lightly beat egg white in a small bowl with a wooden spoon. Add icing sugar, a heaped tablespoon at a time. When icing reaches desired consistency, add juice. Beat well. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle.
- Pipe icing over a few biscuits at a time, then arrange cachous on icing. Set aside at room temperature for icing to harden.
- Thread ribbon through large then small biscuits to create a wreath shape.
Sweet and Salty Pretzel Wreaths
✦ 200g packet pretzel twists
✦ 10g packet freeze-dried strawberries, crushed (see tip)
✦ ¼ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- Draw 6 x 13cm rounds on 2 sheets of baking paper. Place paper, pencil-side down, on 2 greased baking trays.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl in 30-second bursts, stirring between each burst, until melted and smooth. Using the outline as a guide, spread a little melted chocolate around each circle. Arrange pretzels on top of melted chocolate on each circle.
- Drizzle some melted chocolate over pretzels and sprinkle with half the crushed strawberries and pistachios. Repeat to make 2 layers.
- Set aside 30 mins until chocolate has firmed.