Celeb News

"This period has been the toughest in my life": Guy Sebastian breaks his silence over shock arrest of former manager

Guy's ex-manager allegedly owes him more than $1 million.

By Rebecca Sullivan
Guy Sebastian has broken his silence following the arrest of his former manager on fraud charges.
The Voice coach's ex-manager Titus Day, 47, was arrested on Wednesday morning in Sydney and charged with 61 counts of dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception, including defrauding Guy of more than $1.15 million.
Police claim Titus withheld the whopping sum from Guy over several years, between December 2013 and April 2020.
And now Guy has publicly responded to Titus' arrest for the very first time, opening up about the trauma the bitter legal battle has caused him over the years.
In a heartfelt statement posted to his Instagram page on Thursday morning, Guy said he was aware of the charges laid by police against Titus and explained he has been involved in ongoing disputes with his ex-manager for years.
"Today I am absolutely devastated to learn the nature and detail of these charges," Guy wrote.
"After over a decade of partnership, I parted ways with Titus' management company in November 2017. All my income was controlled via Titus into a Trust account and after noticing some disparities in payments, I requested important financial information that I was rightfully entitled to, and upon doing so our relationship began deteriorating."
Guy pictured with his former manager Titus Day, during happier times. Image: Instagram
Guy pictured with friends and Titus (far right) several years ago. Image: Instagram
Guy also opened up about the personal toll the legal battle has taken on his personal life.
"Over these last years, my integrity and reputation have been questioned and many untruths have been publicly stated. For me, this has been deeply personal and this period has been the toughest of my life. These charges are a sad vindication of my position," Guy wrote.
"No one in my industry deserves this to happen and I hope my case can serve as an example to all artists about the important of transparency and trust between a manager and an artist. I will not be making any further comment as the matter is now with the police."
Guy's statement that he posted to Instagram on Thursday morning. Image: Instagram
Guy said he was "absolutely devastated" by the news. Image: Instagram
Last month, Woman's Day revealed the legal battle between Titus and Guy had reached breaking point, with Titus applying for an apprehended personal violence order (AVO) against the singer in court.
Speaking about the pair's fractured relationship, Titus said: "I have nothing to lose any more."
Titus, who has previously represented other Australian celebrities via his 6 Degrees management company, including Sophie Monk, had previously spoken out about his friendship with Guy, when their working relationship between the pair ended.
"After 12 great years together I'm very sad to be losing Guy as a client," Titus said at the time.
"But he is a wonderful talent and a good person, so I wish him well in everything he does," he said before things between the pair took a turn for the worse.
Guy and his wife Jules used to holiday with Titus. Image: Getty
Guy, 38, is one of the celebrity coaches on the current season of The Voice.
He is married to his wife Jules Sebastian, 40, and the couple have two children together, Hudson and Archie.
WATCH BELOW: See inside Guy Sebastian's Sydney mansion.