In an exclusive interview in the May issue of The Australian Women's Weekly on sale today wellness advocate Belle Gibson admits her cancer diagnosis was not real.
The 23-year-old shot to fame after claiming she healed terminal brain cancer with wholefoods but an investigation by The Weekly has uncovered a web of half-truths.
In a special investigation, The Weekly reveals the reality behind her cancer diagnosis, the current financial state of her business, The Whole Pantry - and her belief that she has been hard done by.
Gibson was asked outright if she has, or has ever had cancer.
“No. None of it’s true,” she confessed.
"I don't want forgiveness," she told The Weekly. "I just think [speaking out] was the responsible thing to do. Above anything, I would like people to say, 'Okay, she's human.'"
The Weekly did not pay for the story. The wellness blogger was interviewed over a two-day period this month.
Belle rose to fame in May 2013, when she announced on social media that she had been healing her malignant brain cancer with wholefoods and alternative therapies for four years, despite being given just months to live.
She went on to attract millions of followers and more than 200,000 fans on Instagram.
Belle's The Whole Pantry App was best-seller along with her book of the same name.
During the interviews, whenever challenged, Belle cried easily and muddled her words.
She says she is passionate about avoiding gluten, dairy and coffee, but doesn't really understand how cancer works.
All of which begs the question: is this young woman really capable of masterminding one of the biggest hoaxes in recent history?
Buy the May issue of The Australian Women's Weekly on sale Thursday April 23 for the full story.
- MakeupThe best beauty advent calendars to get for the holiday season
Now To LoveYesterday 3:49pm
- Christmas Lifestyle9 affordable adult Christmas advent calendars to bring a little extra joy into your life
Now To LoveYesterday 3:31pm
- Christmas LifestyleSpoil the little ones every day until Christmas with these to-die-for advent calendars
Now To LoveYesterday 3:23pm
- Fashion TrendsSmall but mighty backpacks for all of your travel needs
Now To LoveYesterday 2:34pm
- MakeupGet the Cate Blanchett glow with 9 of the most flawless dewy foundations for mature skin
Now To LoveYesterday 1:19pm
- Fashion TrendsAvoid the dreaded straps with these 9 strapless bras that aren't going anywhere
Now To LoveYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas EntertainingLevel up your cracker game with these luxury bon bons for Christmas
Now To LoveYesterday 11:00am
- Fashion Trends8 sunglasses brands to keep your eye on this summer
Now To LoveNov 30, 2023