In one of the cooler collaborations of 2018 — even if we do say so ourselves — The Australian Women's Weekly has joined forces with Barbie to create The Australian Women's Weekly Barbie Cookbook.
With recipes by the award-winning pastry chef Anna Polyviou road-tested in The Weekly's Test Kitchen, with the help of Anna's Junior Executive Chef Lola, there is something for all budding chefs to try at home. From eye-catching sweet treats to healthy after-school snacks, these delicious triple-tested recipes are sure to please the kids. (And the big kids!).
So what are you waiting for? Get the kids in the kitchen and give them a whirl now. Here's a sneak-peek of one of our favourite recipes from the book...
Anna's Barbie fun shakes
PREP + COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
- 50g white chocolate, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons (60g) coloured sprinkles
- 4 mini waffle ice-cream cones
- 1 litre strawberries and cream ice-cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) strawberry ice-cream topping, plus extra to drizzle in glasses and over top
- 1 2/3 cups (410ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) strawberry ice-cream topping, extra
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 4 glace cherries
- 20 white mini marshmallows
- 40g persian fairy floss
- 1 tablespoon coloured sprinkles, extra
- 4 small scoops (160g) vanilla ice-cream
- 4 drinking straws
- Place chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on High (100%) in 20-second bursts until just melted. Stir continuously until smooth. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place sprinkles in a small shallow bowl. Working quickly, dip the rims of four 350ml glasses in chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off. Dip the rims in sprinkles to coat. Place glasses in the freezer to set.
- Repeat the dipping process with the ice-cream cones, then place them in short glasses at room temperature to set.
- Blend strawberries and cream ice-cream, strawberry topping and milk until smooth.
- Using picture as a guide, drizzle the serving glasses with half of the extra strawberry topping. Divide thick shake mixture between glasses and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk cream and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1 1/2cm round nozzle.
- Pipe the tops of the shakes with whipped cream.
- Drizzle with remaining extra strawberry topping.
- Top each shake with a glacé cherry, marshmallows and fairy floss. Sprinkle with extra sprinkles.
- Scoop the vanilla ice-cream into the cones and place an ice-cream cone into the top of each shake.
- Place straws in the glasses to serve.
Brought to you by Barbie. You can be anything.